Saturday, January 6, 2018

NORTHUMBRIAN FOG (INTERVIEW)

Northumbrian Fog is a Black Metal/Ambient project which has strong Anglo-Saxon themes (as the name suggests). As a heathen publication, one of my goals is to promote such bands here at Barbarian Skull. Northumbrian Fog is a new project which shows a lot of potential and has left me anxious to hear more, in this interview I discuss the project with the band’s mastermind Lord Æthelfrith.



  • Greetings Lord Æthelfrith! Thank you for taking the time to answer this interview with Barbarian Skull. Can you introduce yourself and tell us about the history of Northumbrian Fog?
It is my pleasure, thank you for the opportunity to discuss the project! The name Lord Æthelfrith came most natural for my alias in this project due to it being the name of Northumbria’s founding king and ruler. Æthelfrith of Northumbria was a pagan ruler, and a natural born leader. Northumbrian Fog was spawned from my personal goal to push my potential as musician, and to prove to myself that I have the abilities, and knowledge to conquer where others have tried and failed; thus, the name Æthelfrith was more than perfect.
  • Until recently you were the sole member of Northumbrian Fog, and have recently been joined by another member, Turenn. Can you explain the difference of responsibilities within the band? Do you plan on performing live in the future?
The most appealing component to this project is that I am under no deadline, nor any constraints that a “band” would bring. What I mean by this is that the project gives me full flexibility in terms of members, sound, and overall control. I do not mean to sound like a control freak, but it is very nice to know that I am under no oath to any of the other people I consider part of the project. For example, I recently released an ambient single that was done all by me, and has no real resemblance to anything I am currently recording for the solo EP I have yet to announce. Where Turenn, and the other few I have asked to be part of the project come in is for the main album that I am slowly but surely piecing together. This album is what started the project, but I have pushed it to the back until I first complete a solo EP for reasons stated in the previous question. Although playing live may be an option, it will not be for some time unfortunately, considering the amount of focus I am putting into the EP, and Full Length.
  • Northumbrian Fog is described as a Saxon Black Metal project. Why did you choose Anglo-Saxon themes for your project? What Anglo-Saxon heroes and legends most inspire you?
Born in England, and moving to Canada when I was young left a vacant feeling deep within me and it has done nothing but grow since I took to creating my own music. Northumbrian Fog is how I connect with the land I was torn away from. Every day of my life I miss my home land, my family, and its deep history. The Saxons were conquerors, brave warriors who forged the land I grew to love. Their blood flows through my veins and nothing upon this ever-changing earth makes me prouder. I believe we all owe it to our ancestors to keep their brave deeds, and power alive. In terms of inspiration I would say that more than anything else it would be the feeling I get when I stand amidst the foggy dew of northumbria, upon the dark moors where none may disagree that those lands I hold dear still carry the spirits of our forefathers; where all of their legends, and traditions still soar upon the winds, letting inspiration, and memory into my heart.
  • The great Anglo-Saxon age is slowly but surely having more of a presence in the underground Metal scene today, with bands such as Wodensthrone, Ildra, Winterfylleth, and the mighty Forefather. These bands utilize primary sources from the era for their subject matter and some even utilize Old English in their lyrics. What Saxon themes do you plan exploring with Northumbrian Fog?
As a history student, and underground metal enthusiast, nothing makes me happier than to see the popularity of these themes grow. I believe we should all celebrate our history and tradition allowed and proud. Reading ancient tales and folklore from this time period, or even those of our brothers from the scandinavian region of this pagan origin brings me deep inspiration that I take note of and aim to weave into the songs I am currently working on. Forefather tend to take old english folk songs and put their own spin on it so to speak. Whether that being the creation of new lyrics to the old tune, or simply adding more metal elements into the songs structure, these are techniques I find to be very impressive, and something more bands should try to do. Although I appreciate that style of remembrance, I have always been more inclined to keep the old folk songs as they are, and put them amongst my otherwise totally meta-engaged music; there is something I find more meaningful about this, and has to do with the mood of the album, if your album hits its mark in terms of theme, and mood, this technique should be in no way problematic for the flow of the album.
  • You currently have two singles released online, “Through the Wounds of the Dead” which is a black metal track, and the impressive “Visions of Days Long Past” which is an ambient instrumental track. Do you plan to continue to mix these two styles for the project, or will you be focusing on one style more than the other.
The raw black metal sound I explored in “Through The Wounds of The Dead” was drawn from more of a medieval, and diseased inspiration than I usually take, so I don’t believe I will be doing anything that raw again soon. Although i enjoy making music like that, it is not the sound I wish Northumbrian Fog to manifest into. “Visions of Days long Past” is not by any means any closer, yet when these two singles meet somewhere in the middle, you will find something a lot closer to the sound that Northumbrian Fog will become. The atmosphere, from Visions of Days Long Past, and brooding aggression of Through Wounds of The Dead when mixed together creates the foundation of my writing style for this project. Yet unlike my first single, Visions of Days Long Past will not stand alone, atmospheric music is very prominent in my writing process, and many of my songs start off as such, so it will come most natural for me to keep some of them away from the more metal elements of the two releases I am currently working on .
  • What can you tell us about the current Northumbrian Fog material that you are working on? What can we expect from your new material?
            The New Material that is most prominently being given my attention is The EP that I have yet to announce. It is all written and recorded by me and will have 5-6 songs on it, it will sound quite raw, but with more mixing than “Through The Wounds of The Dead”. The Songs that I have recorded so far are already sounding much more like what I wish the project to be, and for this I am happy. With soaring clean vocals, keyboard additions, and a less distorted sound, this EP will be unlike any other release you have heard by me to date. Very excited to release it!
  • Thank you for the interview, Lord Æthelfrith! Any last words are yours! Wes hael!
            A great thanks to you also my friend! I am honored to be apart of your wonderful site, and found your questions to be remarkably well put, I hope I answered them to the enjoyment of any reader, and certainly hope it keeps any of you out there on the look out for more news soon.
– Lord Æthelfrith