Saturday, January 6, 2018

ANGMAER (INTERVIEW)

Angmaer is a one man black metal project from the UK, which first caught my attention with the song “The Tower” that reminded me quite a bit of Summoning. In this interview I speak with mastermind Oscar Taylor about the history and future of the project. 

  • Greetings Angmaer! Thank you for taking the time to do this interview with Barbarian Skull. Please take this time to introduce yourself and provide us with a history of the band.
Greetings! It’s a pleasure!
I’m Angmaer and have been since I started this project back in Mid-2013. Even though I started this in 2013 it was only until the end of 2014 where I actually brought out any music, this was due to my time in the band Eternally Enthroned taking up my time and work. Since the release of Sorg, Trolldom, Vinter I’ve been working on music for this project ever since. I compose all the songs and have recorded all guitars, vocals and bass myself for all my releases so far from my own little setup in my flat.
  • Angmaer plays Black Metal with various other genres also incorporated in the music. What goals do you have in mind for your project? While you have a range of different influences, what do you aim most to express with Angmaer? What bands are your biggest influences?
Well, currently I’ve got a few more album ideas in mind, I plan to complete them at a slow but steady pace to make sure that they are perfect and so that I can incorporate everything I can into these to express my emotions and thoughts precisely. As for biggest influences I’d have to say Dissection and Burzum are mine musically as well as a good amount of Behemoth and Wintersun too.
  • While Angmaer hails from England, you have used Norwegian song titles and lyrics in your music (a great touch which I appreciate). Why did you choose to write music in another language, and did you write the lyrics yourself?
Thank you! The main reason why I wrote in Norwegian was because it felt right and it sounded right for these certain songs. They carry my message and the songs message effectively. Probably because it is reminiscent to where the inspiration and meaning comes from for the songs.
  • Angmaer has continued the tradition of black metal created completely by a single member. What advantages and disadvantages do you find in being the sole member of the band? Will you ever consider adding other members, or putting together a live lineup?
I find that being in complete control of the music and every aspect of the band really attractive and satisfying. With Angmaer being a project I created to express my emotion and personal spirit and energy, it really is very convenient. Disadvantages would be getting tunnel vision. I can be susceptible to taking an extreme and not so wise path with my music, not allowing anyone else’s say or opinion enter into the equation.
Right at this moment I do have a live lineup in the making actually. Nothing concrete just yet but we have been making quick and excellent progress together. Our goal is to get gig ready by the end of the year at least. We’ve discussed about us all collaborating for upcoming Angmaer stuff, keeping myself as the primary songwriter, and I’m enjoying this idea.
  • Tell us about your first album, Towards Darkness’ Paradise. This album was a slight step up from your first EP in terms of production. Will you continue to produce your own music with future releases?
This album ended up being a collection of all the demos I found laying around which I decided to re-record and organise into a full-length album. I had to write lyrics pretty much at the last minute as I’m never usually one to compose lyrics without any music, I usually let the instrumentation of the songs convey the message for themselves. As for production on this album, I wish I had spent more time on it, I always tend to rush things like this (Which I’ve learnt from and I do take my time with now!) But from what I’ve heard from people speaking about the album, I’m satisfied with the results. I will indeed be producing my future releases, I’ve figured out that it is how I want to work, and I can take as much time and can change every little thing and do about anything I desire.
  • The Beyond Life, Beyond Light EP featured songs that took a slightly different approach from your other work. The song “The Tower” featured medieval synth melodies and guitars that reminded me a lot of Summoning. This song remains my favorite track from Angmaer. Do you plan on creating more songs in this style? This same EP also included some ambient/electronic elements. Do you see yourself using more keyboards in the future, or creating more ambient tracks?
Ah yes, that song was my original tribute to Summoning actually! The whole EP was a one-off thing for me, I wasn’t sure how people would take it (hence why I released it without any promotion or word about it beforehand) and yet that’s actually ended up to be received greatly by a lot of people. And yes! I really enjoy writing these kinds of songs, one of the albums I’ve had planned will use quite a lot of keyboards in this way. You can at least expect an odd ambient track here and there in some upcoming albums anyway.

  • What can you tell us about your upcoming full length album?
Well, I can safely say that this will surpass anything I’ve ever done musically by far! I’m extremely happy with how this album is shaping up. It’s got quite a few songs and they’re all pretty fast and in-your-face. This will be the first release of mine to not have a drum machine, but will actually have a proper drummer; Fredrik Widigs of Marduk and The Ugly. And I must say that it was a good decision to have him on board for this. His style just fits the songs perfectly. And as always I’ll be taking on guitars, bass and vocals myself.

  • Thanks again for taking the time to answer this interview! Any last words are yours.
And thank you!
To everyone, I say this: support the underground, keep the black flame burning and hold the heathen hammer high!